Deb and Daniela grew up together in Aroostook County, Maine. Their work ethic and interests were formed by this agricultural community who’s rhythm was centered around autumn harvest, even the schools closed at harvest time (all hands needed). They have since lived and moved throughout the USA (and a few stints abroad) before coming to their respective homesteads in New Hampshire and Massachusetts.
Having decided to incorporate acorns in their diets, research brought them to Marcie Mayer in Greece, who created the Acorn Hamada Initiative on the Greek island of Kea where she makes AMAZING acorn cookies! Daniela and Deb traveled to Greece to learn about and bring in the 2015 Acorn harvest with Marcie and other volunteers from all over the world. Truly, Marcie inspired us to create the New England Acorn Cooperative and to provide education/tools/best practices for anyone interested in acorn harvesting and healthy eating. Thank you Marcie!
Deb and Daniela
The New England Acorn Cooperative is a federally recognized educational 501c3.
Your Contribution to greatly appreciated, and tax-deductible.
Our 501c3 number is 81-5023954
The Cooperatives purpose is to provide education and resources for individuals and organizations interested in respectful, sustainable, acorn harvesting, processing and consumption, and to build long-term partnerships that are environmentally sound and economically fair between land-owners, preserved open spaces, wildlife, gatherers, processors and consumers of acorns.
Join us and give the gift of Community Support today to help us share knowledge and opportunities for everyone to participate in Acorn harvests and processing.
Community Contribution funds support:
- Education and outreach to people of all ages and abilities.
- Acquisition and maintenance of equipment for communal use (acorn huller, acorn flour mill).
- Network of acorn enthusiasts, individuals, organizations, and businesses interested in acorn food products.
- Advocacy for important food forest and environmental issues locally, regionally, and globally.
- Annual New England Acorn Cooperative Dinner and other acorn community related activities.
Thanks and Blessings!